Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Great Summer Road Trip, Day 5

The final leg to the Bay of Islands. Stopped in Waipu at the museum that holds the history of the Scottish settlers, who came to that area via Nova Scotia. This is my family history on my mother's side and the museum holds comprehensive information. The first woman I spoke to there was a distant relative by virtue of a common relation who lives in the area.



My great grandfather (above from a museum wall) was on one of the original ships, as were his parents, and it is a thoroughly interesting museum with excellent displays, even for those not directly connected to the pioneers whose stories it preserves.

And so to Piahia. A nice motel on the waterfront ...


... where more important events took place in the past ...



... and had a walk to Waitangi this evening, though the treaty grounds were closed the views were lovely and a return is planned. 



1 comment:

  1. I never realized Waitangi was so far north. I've always imagined it around Coromandel. So to the Bay of Islands I thought were much further south.

    ReplyDelete