Pages

Friday, January 8, 2016

Summer Season #6

Signs
For Christmas this year I received some Bonus Bonds. They have been around for a very long time and I recall when they first started way back in 1970. I'm not sure my parents owned many actual bonds, but there was a lot of interest in the fancy new computer 'Elsie' that conducted the draws - revolutionary progress from the ball and barrel systems that were until then the standard method for drawing the winning number in the  Golden Kiwi and other lotteries. Time has moved on and though the government no longer has any interest in the scheme it remains a fond institution in New Zealand, and is now administered by the ANZ bank.


Where once bond holders were alerted via the mail that they had been successful in the monthly draw, it's all very high tech now and one's good fortune can be monitored online and even through banking apps. So this morning I went through the process of registering at the Bonus Bonds website. The process went fairly smoothly for this sort of thing with only two calls required to the 0800 hotline throughout the ensuing half hour. And I have a very good feeling about the $1million first prize that I am eligible for in February .... because I was given a sign! Nothing too ostentatious a sign such as this ...


... or ridiculously obvious like this ...


... or indeed as tangible as this.


No, this was a subtle sign that might be missed entirely by someone not as attuned to the mysteries of the universe as myself. But a clear sign, nonetheless. For some reason (possibly tied up in the whole mysterious sign celestial organisation stuff) one cannot register without providing an occupation. And yet when I typed in 'Teacher' the response was 'invalid occupation'. Now I've been engaged in this occupation for a considerable few years and can definitely attest it has been a valid, though poor, income source throughout this time. How can it it suddenly not be so? It makes no sense in the here and now, but could this be a portent of my future? Some time very soon will 'independently wealthy' be my correct descriptor? I'm choosing to believe so.

Album of the Day


Track/Video of the Day
Petone Ponderings has been unable to source Dirty Work in its entirety or as anything other than an unsatisfactory cover, but here is a short extract by the real Steely Dan. Purchase of the above album or Can't Buy a Thrill is strongly recommended.

1 comment:

  1. Can't buy a thrill - simply brilliant and a must have in any music collection.

    ReplyDelete