Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Matiu/Somes Island

What a great day out today. Caught the 10:30 ferry from Days Bay. A large group were disembarking after a week long taiaha course on the island so we were witness to a karanga and haka on the wharf when the ferry arrived.

Haka rings through the air as we depart.

Looking back to Days Bay.

The island is just amazing. So much history and spectacular views.




When I lived in Pohue Grove people always asked what Pohue meant and I would tell them it was a native bindweed. This is the first time I have ever actually seen it.


I knocked the bastard off - made it to the summit!











This was fascinating. By turning the handle on the stainless steel speaker you charge it up in order to hear a woman talk about her time on the island during the war. I am now an expert on 'degaussing'!

The seagulls there are constantly soaring and swooping down at you as you walk, protecting their chicks. These three were being watched over carefully by their mum and dad. They were much younger than I've ever seen before and must have just left the nest.

Coffee at Days Bay at the end of a wonderful trip, looking back to where we had been.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a great day, that movie about the planet sucking all the air from earth might give me bad dreams though.

    ReplyDelete