Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Books vs Movies

Movies of books are never as good as the original books. When you have a picture in your head, the movie portrayal of beloved characters never make them as wonderful as your imagination did. Today I was flicking channels and saw the movie 'Ramona and Beezus' was on Sky. When I was a child the books of Beverley Cleary were some of my firm favourites, I read and re-read them and still do.

This is the Ramona on the old book covers ....




This is the Ramona in the movie ...


They covered all the key events in some of the Ramona books, but it just wasn't the same - because it never can be. I feel sorry for the modern child who knows so many of the great children's books only as movies - from Dr Seuss classics through to Where the Wild Things Are.

1 comment:

  1. Agree 100%. I was viewing the shorts for the latest Narnia film when I became uncomfortable with the continual close up of the character.... the same with Lord of the rings ...a slow zoom into the eyes of the character.
    When I read a book I'm seeing it through the characters eyes, or looking over his head. Not looking at his/her face!

    ReplyDelete