Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Arthur's and Shopping

Tomorrow morning the small talk with colleagues will inevitably revolve around the question, "Did you have a nice weekend?" By the time I am asked this, I will be so immersed in classroom preparation, workplans, photocopying, meeting agendas and the like that when put on the spot I will struggle to bring my mind back to the any of the delights of the weekend with sufficient speed to reply in any way coherently. But the answer deserves to be a resounding "Yes!". It was highly social, busy yet still relaxing and lots of fun.

Most of the sunny glory that was Saturday was spent in Wellington doing the shops, mainly in the 'Cuba Quarter' (as I see they call it for tourists, though I've never heard locals actually refer to it as such). At the top of Cuba Street I finally made it to Arthur's and it was as excellent as I hoped it would be. Very quirky decorating to enjoy from our table in the sun upstairs, views out over the bypass and friendly staff. The owner is very nice - how could she not be when you hear she has owned over 400 flying ducks?


I can heartily recommend the warehou on greens and mash.


Street theatre in the mall on the walk back was accompanied by very hypnotic drumming and I think may have had a recycling theme. The whole mall was vibrant and busy, and so many interesting shops to browse about in.


At a wee market in a corner bar I bought a Petone print from the artist. I just love the artist's style and use of colour. I have popped it in the frame but may get it done properly when my finances recover (there was an unplanned purchase of purple shoes, too).

Arriving back in Petone the weather was still perfect and the beach a picture.

Today passed in a pleasant whirl and so another weekend comes to a close. Hopefully this week will see the new fire installed, my house restored to dust-free order and ferociously cold weather will be on the horizon!

No comments:

Post a Comment