Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Briscoes - I'm Sorry

Yesterday I had this kettle. It was less than two years old, I know that for sure because I got it in a lunch hour soon after I changed schools - I have just finished my second full year of teaching there, for which I still can't believe my good fortune - and paid more than I wanted to, but felt going for stainless steel over plastic would be a wise choice.
It wasn't a wise choice, apart from the whole plastic contamination health aspect. Today I visited several electric stores for a replacement after the Breville packed it in. I have always been a strong critic of Briscoes and their so-called sales, being of the opinion they hike the prices for the legally required time-frame in order to then slash the prices in a 'sale' to match the regular prices of other retailers. With this in mind I excluded them from my list of retailers. The prices for kettles at these other outlets were far more than my humble budget had allowed, so in desperation I called into Briscoes on the way home. For a great deal less than at Harvey Norman, Smith City or L V Martin, I now have this jazzy little kettle.
I could have bought the identical Breville again for an excellent price too, but Breville's glory days as the 70s manufacturer of the famous toastie pie maker are obviously well gone and I will avoid the brand in the future. 

So, Briscoes, I'm sorry - maybe your business practices aren't as shonky as I may have believed. I may even scan your weekly junk mail drops with a modicum of interest in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment