Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Price of Milk


People are always bleating on about the price of milk, and seem amazed that a bottle of coke is cheaper. Why wouldn't it be? To make milk you need a farm on which you grow lush grass. You must raise a herd of cows, nuture and care for them, and invest in and maintain the machinery to milk them. The milk is then transported to a factory to be processed, bottled and distributed. To make coke you take some water, add some sugar and questionable favouring, then carbonate. Even quite slow-witted people manage this at home with their soda stream. If you don't like the price of milk, don't drink it - it's not good for you anyway - what other animal drinks milk after being weaned, let alone that of a different species?

1 comment:

  1. I like the Coca Cola cow and can't help thinking that it is not much different from the Fonterra cow. Milk has become big brand, big business and the little people don't matter anymore except as duped consumers. I don't particularly have an opinion against the consumption of milk "from other species" although I myself don't drink the stuff except in 'flat white' coffees.
    I only use soy milk in my tea, finding the smell of cow's milk off-putting. It probably has more to do with having to drink warm 'school milk' when I was young rather than any 'Green' considerations.

    ReplyDelete