Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Drought

Both the country and my blog have been in the grip of drought. While the summer continues to hog autumn's time, at least I can remedy to situation here. It really has been a lovely long summer, but the garden is really starting to suffer and I fear the trees won't have the where-with-all to muster a good autumn display if we don't get some significant rain soon. The mornings are becoming pleasingly crisp, and that glorious extra hour tomorrow morning will be very welcome.

Pay back time - an extra hour's snooze. Bliss!
The last month has raced away. I will attempt a brief recap, though life has pottered on with very little out of my pleasant routine. For the first time in ages I finished a book. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it, which I didn't expect as I'm not in the least into science fiction.

Polished it off in a couple of days.
I saw this movie, and surprisingly didn't enjoy it. How did the director take such a great classic piece of literature and take all the depth and emotion out of it? By being just too clever. An oscar for costuming does not make a movie into a cracking yarn.

If she hadn't jumped, I'm sure a lot of us would have been happy to give her a push.

By stark comparison, this moving story needed little in set and costume to tell a much more emotionally connecting love story.

Note to self - don't get old.

In other news... I have started a new collection, which I think will nicely complement the flying ducks, be very appropriate for the age of the house and generally just look kitschy and wonderful. 

Number one of how many to come?

And finally, for this drought breaker ... the theme for winter food this year will be - By Crockpot. Please note, this is a vintage, proper crockpot, hauled home from Sydney in the eighties, when shopping in New Zealand was a similar experience to East Germany at the time. Even felt tip pens had to be sourced from Oz while we were gripped by monetary and import strangleholds. Don't be fooled, those 'slow cookers' that are currently in vogue are not the real thing at all.

Classic




2 comments:

  1. How be it thou thinks't the thatch cottage becoming,
    With boulders piled high and wanting of plumbing:
    Ney give me the modern with windows of 'lum
    And large heated bathroom with ample bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back.
    I like the kitsch mirror. My mother had a couple of those years ago. I guess that they are well worth collecting now.
    I agree with you on the old crock-pots. We use one a lot during winter. It must be 40 years old. (Asian lamb that Lynn cooks is superb).
    The heavy ceramic is the key as it retains a steady temperature with no risk of burning. The modern equivalents are rubbish.

    ReplyDelete