Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Psychology

Yesterday and today have been set aside as post-Christmas house cleaning days. It's taking two full days because I am improving my efficiency by applying psychological principles to the task. More precisely, I am using sports psychology. Back in the olden days the good athletes trained hard, competed and won. The modern athlete is a much more complex beast. It's not about being able to win, it's about thinking you are able to win. Apparently, one must repeatedly play the event in one's head, imagining the winning sequence of actions over and over until the actual performance is a foregone conclusion. Golfers see the winning putt, swimmers image the perfect dive and so on. That's how the All Blacks got the World Rugby Cup. They won it once, then thought about winning it again over and over for twenty-five years and voila!

That's why, to the casual observer, it might have appeared that yesterday I was lolling about in my dressing gown and playing computer games.

Level 125 - a happy by-product of efficient housework. 
What I was actually doing was lolling about in my dressing gown, playing computer games and mentally cleaning each room in my house to a very high standard, not once but over and over. According to the psychologists I will absolutely fly through the actual process today. Isn't science wonderful?

2 comments:

  1. Hope you moved the sofas, dusted the skirting, scrubbed behind the toilet bowl, wiped above the doors... think we'd better come around and check!

    ReplyDelete