Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Toffee Apples

In my young days toffee apples were a staple of the sweet stall at any gala. There they were, with the fudge and coconut ice, waiting to attract the attentions sweet-toothed kiddies such as myself. They consisted of an icecream stick rammed into an apple which was dunked in a highly-coloured, red toffee. They looked great, but were invariably disappointing - the toffee hard to eat and the apple usually old and floury. How things have changed. I hadn't seen them in a long time, but saw at the Martinborough Fair that they have suddenly made an up-market come-back. Some barely qualify as toffee apples at all - they are dipped in caramel and chocolate. But that is not all - coatings of nuts and other delights abound - the very trendiest appear to be coated in smashed jaffas. I wonder if my 10 cents pocket money from the '60, allowing for inflation into today's dollars, would come anywhere near meeting the $9 price tag. And of course, after all the dipping and dunking, are the apples still disappointingly old and floury?

1 comment:

  1. Are you saying you didn't even try one? Ok I agree nine bucks is a bit high. I bought Oliver a more traditional one at the Hutt Market for a couple of bucks.He took one bite and handed it to me to throw away. PS I will return your pen tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete