Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Not Too Shabby

For some months now, I have been pouring over Google images, watching videos and reading blogs about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. It's the latest, greatest thing for decorators renovating old furniture to achieve the 'shabby chic' look. It has only been recently available in New Zealand, and strangely there are only three distributors in the whole country - in Rangiora, Cromwell and, fortunately, Raumati. Last week, I finally made it to Fenwick Vintages in Raumati.

The people there couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, and I was able to pick up all the supplies and 'tips of the trade' that I required to make a start. Since then I have been eagerly anticipating my holiday project. At this point I must add a word of caution. I am not advocating the painting of everything wooden. It is a sin to paint over oak, rimu or kauri. 


But I have no love of pine, and that is what my kitchen dresser is made of. I do like its shape, and it fits perfectly in my wee kitchen, holding the crockery and other bits and pieces. Given the age of the house, a 'shabby chic' makeover seemed appropriate. And there is one colour that it had to be.


Or more precisely, quarter duck egg blue. And so today the transformation began. 

Waiting for the paint to dry, before sanding and waxing.
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is brilliant because it will cover any surface, so there is no preparation before slapping it on. You don't need to be too flash with a paint brush (which I have never been) because the actual finish is achieved with the sandpaper, then brought to life with the wax. I'm very pleased with the result. It looks much better in the kitchen now. And so thoughts turn to the next project ...



1 comment: