Pages

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Advertising

I'm glad my telecommunications are with Vodafone. Of course I used to be with TelstraClear, but I'm getting used to being sold on as a customer here and there. It turns out the new plans are much better, and what I was paying has dropped by almost forty dollars for the same services. Actually, more services. I used to get 20 mega-somethings of broadband, which I rarely exceeded. Now I'm getting 60 mega-somethings thrown in as well. To celebrate, I had a second decoder installed on Saturday. I'm still paying way less and don't have to worry about Freeview aerials or new televisions now, as the analogue turn off looms ever nearer.

Old tv, new decoder, many channels.
But the real reason I am happy to be a Vodafone customer is it means I'm not a Telecom customer, and this has nothing to do with their service provision. It's about their advertising. I just can't abide that turtle torturing Tommy they use on their ads. Pets are not toys, but no-one has told this to Tommy or Telecom. Tommy's not cute, in fact on another blog he was referred to as 'an odious little snot'. I have to concur, this sums up the advertising character very nicely without using any of the expletives that come readily to mind. (I say character, because the child actor could well be a delightful, caring boy.) How do advertising executives come up with these dim campaigns?

"How can I make your life a little worse, Boris?"




No comments:

Post a Comment