Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Eat Well, Live Well 2013

It's taken a while to get back into blogging for 2013. The holidays so far have been busy, relaxing and social. I've also spent a fair bit of time re-reading paleo principles and guidelines. Though not 'New Year Resolutions' as such, I feel even more resolute in following the paleo lifestyle in 2013. There has been lots of wishing of Happy New Year, but a much better greeting would probably be Healthy New Year.  I am blessed with very good health and much happiness. I am quite convinced it is my paleo lifestyle that maintains this. People around me seem afflicted with a myriad of health issues, but reluctant to address diet as the possible (personally, I would say probable) cause. Arthritis is apparently a better choice than dropping grains, diabetes preferable to foregoing sugar. I don't bother to respond any more to the stupidity of logic, so easily amswered, that the paleo lifestyler inevitably hears - " How come the average lifespan for a caveman was under thirty years?" Anyway, 2013 is off to a great paleo start.

Eat Well: It's so easy, so delicious, so energising. Do eat meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, eggs, nuts. Don't eat grains, legumes, nightshades, processed food. For many dairy is also a big no-no, too. I considered trying dairy free this year, but the stumbling block for me is tea. I like it with milk. I did try a switch to green tea that so many rave about, but it's just not nice. I also have become addicted to haloumi cheese. Why did no one tell me years ago just how delicious this is? I have, however, resolved to make my dairy as healthful as possible, so what luck to have Zany Zeus just along the road in Moera selling their own organic dairy products.
Organic milk - next goal to move on to their full fat, blue top.

Today's lunch, haloumi salad - yum, yum, yum! And so easy!
Live Well: 
Frequent, healthy exercise  - not some silly gym workout. I 've had some great walks already this year, important to schedule in while I'm not getting my daily walk to school each day. It also gives me a good dose of sun for vitamin D. It's interesting that skin cancer rates appear to have accelerated at a similar rate to the uptake of sunscreen as a preventative in recent years - I use it sparingly.

You don't get a view like this in the gym. Taken from Korokoro lookout.

A good walk from my house, down there somewhere in the distance!
Sleep well - this year I am going to try to eliminate some of the blue light from my evening environment. I've put a great programme on my computer that fades it from the screen at sunset. Everything takes on a retro hue and it induces yawning in me soon after. The TV is going from the bedroom and I am trying to get back into reading books as a daily habit. I'm well into the stack of autibiographies I got from the library, and will endeavour to be a regular borrower this year.

Play Well - have fun, enjoy what you are doing, reduce stress. I'm very lucky to have a job I enjoy, working with wonderful people. I spent the day at school yesterday getting the room set up and organising resources ready for the new year. It really didn't seem a chore - it was a satisfying day. Of course, for someone addicted to moving furniture as a past-time, having a big classroom and lots of furniture to move around is just an added plus. My home and garden are a bit of a hobby. And with the blessing of great friends, some holidays are planned in the year ahead, movies to see, places to go, coffees to drink. 

2013 is looking like a great year. Happy, Healthy New Year everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment