Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Triumph over O C D and G

Last weekend a family brunch marked another successfully completed year of my life. This particular birthday necessitated the renewal of my driver's licence. This would mean an eye test, and it would appear I am related to a genetically weakened lot in this respect. Younger or older, they all had licence endorsements requiring the wearing of glasses.


Lots of my friends and associates also wear glasses and without exception look just fine, but for some reason I really don't suit them. I've tried on all sorts of shapes and sizes and I just look awkward. I don't achieve the sophisticated look, the wise and thoughtful look, or even the chic geek that is currently so trendy. I also don't like the way they feel, the way the frame is always in the view and the way wearers end up with those nasty little grooves on the sides of the bridge of the nose. I do actually own both regular and reading prescribed glasses, and sometimes I wear them. The reading ones are useful, the others make little difference. When I do wear them it is because I want and need to. I don't want to be required to wear them. 
So it was very important I do well in the eye test. To this end, I arrived at the opening of my local AA when my eyes were well rested, unwearied from a busy day of looking. Most of the letters on the test line were obliging, unblurred and obvious. No mistaking a V, S, T or K. But O, C, D and G were clearly colluding in order to confuse the unwary. I took my time, studied the full line, counted the occurrences, weighed up the odds and looked for the subtlest of cues as to which letter each round blur would be most likely to be. And so it came to be that for the next ten years I'm good to go! 










1 comment:

  1. Well done. Why do we need 20/20 to read the big road signs anyway?

    ReplyDelete