Pages

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Timely Thoughts

What a lovely, sunny morning. The whole past week has been mild and mostly sunny. I wonder if weather forecasters have performance appraisals? I think not, because then they might be expected to get the forecast just slightly accurate most of the time. We've all heard the 'it's not an exact science', 'small islands in vast seas are harder to predict weather for' excuses, but really they could put in a little more effort or at least give a percentage estimate of how likely their predictions are on any given day. I've seen this for other countries - '70% chance of rain' sort of thing. As one of those attracted to the temptations of a little gambling, this would suit my mindset well. Meantime, if we planned our lives around weather forecasts in New Zealand we would get very little achieved.

Cloudy with rain increasing.
Last night I was in the company of two friends. They were discussing fashion, and one grabbed a book, possibly Trinny and Susannah, and flicked to a chapter, saying to the other, "You and I are the hour glass." My chapter was not specifed. The conversation moved on, but I pondered what category I might fall into, in keeping with the theme.
Am I a sturdy carriage clock? 
Everything old is new again, so the going says, and I really think the humble shower curtain needs to make its return. We have become slaves to our glass showers. Everyone has a theory about how to keep the glass gleaming, and the sorry fact is many of us spend as much time cleaning the shower after its use as we did cleaning our bodies. Our fear of shower glass damaged forever is as ingrained as the lime build up will be should water drops be allowed to lie and do their dastardly work. Back in what I know realise were the halcyon days of showering, I merely chucked the shower curtain in the washing machine now and then, or if I wanted a bathroom makeover simply purchased a new one.
You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.





1 comment:

  1. I like a bit of variability in the weather, it keeps us alert.
    Fashion type: Difficult to define as we've never actually met, but based on your word choice and writing style, I would suggest a Micky Mouse alarm clock.
    Interesting point about the glass shower panels...I think it was Psycho which heralded the demise of the opaque plastic shower curtain...people like to be able to see if somebody's coming at them with a large knife.

    ReplyDelete